In honor of Separate Ways turning one-year-old, I’ve constructed a list of the most important life lessons that I’ve learned over the past year…
1. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Don’t fight it. Don’t think you are the exception. Ever.
2. There is a big difference between party friends and real friends. The thing is, you can’t spend all your time rehashing the drama and details of your life. On the other hand, when you think about it, sometimes the people you spend most of your weekends with don’t know you beyond your killer dance moves and shot-taking abilities. Both are necessary, but don’t confuse them.
3. Speaking of friends, your friends will surprise you. There are people you never imagined being friends with, who will become some of the most precious people in your life. And some who you thought would always be there, won’t. It’s not always anyone’s fault, some relationships aren’t meant to last forever.
4. Everyone has “the one who got away.” It’s inevitable. But remember that it didn’t work for a reason. Keep the memory close but move on.5. There is no such thing as a “Happy Ending.” You know why? Because the only ‘end’ in life is death. Life is not a movie; time goes on. Things change. People grow and evolve every day. There is a certain sadness to this, but there is also a certain beauty. Focus on the beauty and focus on the present.
6. Black is not inevitably the most slimming/flattering/appealing color on you.
7. Just when you think you understand yourself and what you want in life is exactly when you will become the most confused. Don’t sweat it. You’ll circle back to solid ground soon enough.
8. Karma is a bitch. Not just to your asshole ex or that bitch in high school, but to you too. We have all had our petty moments and done something we aren’t proud of. It will catch up to you. Just remember your mistakes do not define you.
9. Your parents really are your best friends. They are on your side even when you think they aren’t.
10. Only date nice guys. Let him treat you like the princess you deserve to be treated like. But don’t stay with him just because he is nice. You’ll feel guilty for dumping him, but it’s the right thing to do.
11. That guy that you have gotten together and broken up with a million times…you have broken up with him 15x for a reason. Remember that next time he texts you out of the blue. Because he will text you out of the blue…right when you start to forget him.
12. Everyone has an opinion. Always. Ignore it. Even the good ones. Except Mom; listen to Mom.
13. No one escapes love unscathed. Love is an anomaly. Love is the epitome of irony. It has the power to give you the greatest joy and, at the same time, the greatest hurt. Love and relationships are made up of two people. And since no two people are perfect, no relationship is perfect. This means that even in the best, lasting relationships, you will still be hurt. You will still end up with emotional scars. It’s the nature of the beast.
It’s the most madding, beautiful, magical, horrible, painful, wonderful, joyous thing in the world, love – Taylor Swift
14. You are not Miranda Lambert. Miranda Lambert isn’t even Miranda Lambert. If she did half the shit she sings about she’d be incarcerated. Snap out of it.
15. At least one of your guy friends wants to bang you. Probably more than one. Some probably want more than to just bang you. Don’t let it happen. If it does, don’t let go of the friendship or let it get awkward. Your guy friends still are the best kinds of friends.
16. Travel is what feeds your soul. Take every opportunity to travel. Even just for the afternoon.
17. Turning 27 has really wigged you out. For the first time in your life, you can feel your youth slipping away. You feel like 27, is basically 30. But it’s not. So enjoy it. Follow this advice from famed author/screen writer, Nora Ephron:
“Oh, how I regret not having worn a bikini for the entire year I was twenty-six. If anyone young is reading this, go, right this minute, put on a bikini, and don’t take it off until you’re 34.”
18. Trust in The Universe. The Universe doesn’t make mistakes.
19. Your Facebook page is NOT: your diary, an AIM away message circa 2002, drunk-proof, blocked from your mother.
20. You are only 27-years old. You are Y-O-U-N-G. Your youth is the the time to makes mistakes and take risks. You don’t have to be perfect all the time. You don’ t have to constantly be achieving something. You don’t have to have it all figured out. Let go of your inner control freak. You have lived a completely calculated life for 26 years and where did it get you? 21. Watch the alcohol. It’s a sneaky little bastard who is really isn’t your friend no matter what he says.
22. The prettiest person in the room will not always be the prettiest person in the room. Beyond bad hair days and weight gain, age and life itself takes a toll. Besides, beauty, in the conventional-societal-sense, is not the end all or be all. So, don’t waste your time being jealous. Your personality is the shit and that will only get better in time.
23. It’s ok to have regrets. Saying you should live with ‘no regrets’ is bullshit. Total, fucking, bullshit. Just don’t dwell on your regrets.
Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets- Arthur Miller
24. Don’t invite two guys you are dating to the same party. Ever.
25. At your core, you are actually an introvert. (Click and see #’s 2,3,8,13,14, 18, and obviously 22)
26. Your heart is not truly as hardened as you believe. This is evidenced by finding yourself crying in the bathroom of every wedding you have attended in the last year… and your secret Pinterest wedding board. Eventually you are going to have to realize this and open yourself up to love again.
27. Never pay more than $20 for sunglasses or earrings. You’ll loose them or break them in a month, tops.
28. Stay away from the guy with the girlfriend. No matter what he says.
29. The happiest people are not the thinnest, the wealthiest, the most successful, the smartest, or even the most beautiful. They are the people who appreciate the smallest moments of happiness and comfort in everyday life.
30. Your ex might win this divorce. He may truly screw you over. So what? It’s not the end of the world. You have the rest of your life to rebuild and be happy.
REGARDLESS, Cheers to the future. I’m still so far from where I need to be, but nonetheless, so far from where I came. Here’s to another year of self-growth and discovery on my journey to becoming me.